Support our work
- Support our work
Timberwatch functions primarily as a network of NGOs and individuals. Most of the individuals that participate in this network are either employed by, or volunteers involved with, the different NGO coalition partners, or individual 'supporters', that subscribe to the aims and objectives of Timberwatch.
In brief, these aims and objectives are as follows:
1. To provide a credible body of informed opinion relating to timber plantations and their impacts.
2. To ensure that where no alternative land-use is possible that plantations are correctly situated.
3. To participate in and to monitor research relevant to the subject of timber plantation impacts.
4. To lobby for balanced strategic land-use plans, that prioritise conservation and food security.
5. To ensure that the highest possible standards in plantation practice are employed and maintained.
6. To demand the eradication of invasive alien plants that spread from timber plantation areas.
7. To ensure proper protection of grasslands, wetlands, and forests in timber plantation areas.
8. To be represented on state bodies responsible for approving water use licences for new plantations.
9. To monitor and to raise awareness of the location, extent and impacts of illegal timber plantations.
10. To document and raise awareness of the impacts of industrial timber processing activities.
Achieving these goals requires resources far beyond what can reasonably be expected to be made freely available from both individual volunteers or the NGOs that endorse the work of Timberwatch. Therefore to ensure that our efforts are effective and sustained, it is necessary to raise funds to cover expenses that are incurred in the execution of such activities.
These expenses can include the following:
- Reimbursement of travelling, accommodation and subsistence costs
- Telephone, fax, e-mail, internet and related computer and consumable costs
- Remuneration of expert consultants where such input is deemed necessary
- Origination and printing of information materials including booklets and stickers
- Costs in respect of co-ordination, training and providing support for volunteers
- General administration activities including secretarial and accounting duties
- Office rental and associated services, and sundry related consumable items
Should you wish to work for Timberwatch as a volunteer, please e-mail your full details including areas of expertise to email@example.com
or if you would prefer to make a financial contribution towards our operating costs, our bank account information is as follows:
FIRST NATIONAL BANK - A/C 62067713977
SWIFT/ BIC#: FIRNZAJJ
Bank street address - Brand Road, City – Durban
State/Province – KZN (KwaZulu-Natal)
Country – South Africa
Postal Code – 4001
For donations made in South Africa: Davenport Branch – code 220226
Reference: Please use either your telephone number or e-mail address.